Conditions of Entry 2015
Entrants must be of New Zealand Māori descent.
• Entries must be original, your own work, not previously published or under contract, and no longer than 3000 words (for short stories) or three chapters long (for novel extracts). Guidelines for all entries, including film scripts, can be found here
• There is no limit to the number of entries an individual may submit. However, each new submission must also be attached to a new entry form.
• Please do not send in multiple chapters from the same novel – select the best three chapters and send those.
• Please send two copies of your story and one entry form if you are sending by post.
• All entries must be typed, double spaced and on one side of the paper only. Send your file as a .doc .docx or .pdf
• Do not include your name on your entered work; your name should only be on the entry form.
• Electronic entries will be accepted. Online entry forms can be found here.
• Entries will be acknowledged but not returned.
• Entries must be received by 5pm, 31 May 2015. Entries received after this closing date will not be eligible.
• HUIA Publishers’ staff, the sponsors (including their staff members), the judges, and their immediate families are not eligible to enter.
• The judges’ decisions are final, and no correspondence will be entered into.
• Finalists will be notified in July 2015.
• Winners will be announced in September at an awards ceremony in Wellington.
• Winners must be prepared to attend the awards ceremony and be involved in promotional activities as reasonably requested by the organisers.
• Winners of the Best Short Story written in Māori, Best Short Story written in English, Best Novel Extract and Best Short Film Script will receive a cash prize of $2000. Two highly commended finalists in each category will receive a cash prize of $500 each. Selected winners and finalists will also be published in Huia Short Stories 11 – the contemporary fiction series published by HUIA Publishers. HUIA Publishers reserve the right to publish these entries without additional payment to the authors.
• Winner of the Secondary School Award category will receive a $500 cash prize and their school will receive $250 worth of HUIA books. Two highly commended finalists will receive a cash prize of $250 each, and their schools will receive $100 worth of HUIA books.