First-time Writer in te Reo Māori
Judged by Scotty Morrison (Ngāti Whakaue), news presenter for Te Karere and Marae, author of bestselling language guides and te reo Māori champion.
- Pine Campbell – Para Pounamu, (Ngāti Porou / Kahungunu ki Te Wairoa) Tokomaru Bay
- Hineteahurangi Merenape Durie Ngata – Tangaroa Pukanohi Nui, (Ngāti Kauwhata, Te Aitanga ā Hauiti, Ngāti Porou, Rangitāne) Palmerston North
- Amiria Stirling – Whakaurupā Taku Aroha, (Te Whānau a Apanui) Wellington
First-time Writer in English
Judged by Robyn Bargh (Te Arawa, Ngāti Awa), founder of Huia Publishers and Chair of the Māori Literature Trust.
- Tracey Andersen – Murray’s Special Day, (Ngāti Porou) Richmond
- Penny Smits – White Sheep, (Ngāpuhi/Te Rawara/Urban Māori) Victoria, Australia
- Bronwyn Te Koeti – No te Uku – From the Clay, (Kai Tahu) Timaru
Emerging Writer in te Reo Māori
Judged by Tuehu Harris (Ngāti Kahungunu), Director at Te Taura Whiri i te Reo Māori.
- Tiahomarama Fairhall – Tiakina! Tiakina! (Te Arawa, Mataatua) Rotorua
Emerging Writer in English
Judged by Whiti Hereaka (Ngāti Tūwharetoa, Te Arawa), award-winning author and playwright and trustee of the Māori Literature Trust.
- Cassandra Barnett – Tunneling, (Raukawa) Wellington
- Lauren Keenan – Tina’s Coming on Tuesday, (Te Ātiawa) Wellington
- Annette Morehu – Aunty’s Teeth, (Te Aupōuri/Tūhoe) Ōrākei
Published Writer in te Reo Māori
Judged by Poia Rewi (Ngāi Tūhoe, Ngāti Manawa, Te Arawa), academic and author renowned for his work in the revitalisation of te reo Māori.
- Hēmi Kelly – Ko te Ao tō Marae, (Ngāti Maniapoto) Auckland
- Zeb Nicklin – Te Kai a te Rangatira, (Pāhauwera, Tūhoe, Tāmanuhiri, Rangitāne) Palmerston North
- Zeb Nicklin – Te Kurī Hīroki o te Āporo Nui, (Pāhauwera, Tūhoe, Tāmanuhiri, Rangitāne) Palmerston North
Published Writer in English
Judged by Carol Hirschfeld (Ngāti Porou), accomplished broadcaster and Head of Video/Audio and Content Partnerships at Stuff.
- Olivia Giles – Rocket Ship Pyjamas and Plum Jam, (Te Āti Awa, Ngāti Raukawa, Ngāti Kahungunu, Te Hau Nui-a-Pāpārangi, Te Whānau-ā-Apanui) Ōtaki
- Olivia Giles – Mumsy, (Te Āti Awa, Ngāti Raukawa, Ngāti Kahungunu, Te Hau Nui-a-Pāpārangi, Te Whānau-ā-Apanui) Ōtaki
- Kim Maryanne Harris – Kokiri ki Mua – Charge Forward, (Ngāpuhi, Ngāti Tūwharetoa ki Kawerau, Te Arawa, Ngāti Awa, Ngāti Porou) Wainuiomata